Summer Abroad Application Instructions
The following instructions are for Summer Abroad, which includes study abroad, international internship and international service programs. Students interested in semester programs should refer instead to the Berea Term Abroad application instructions.
How Do I Apply for Summer Abroad?
- Make sure you meet the eligibility requirements and are aware of important policies.
- In general, students should apply first for campus approval before applying for admission to the selected program sponsor.
- Approval from the CIE is required for all students, regardless of funding source.
- Complete campus applications—including recommendations and transcripts—must be submitted by February 15.
- More information on our our website.
If a deadline falls on a weekend or holiday, applications will be due the next business day. Late applications may be considered only on a space-available basis.
Steps to complete an application
For all applications:
- Create an Abroad Office account if you do not have one.
Update your profile including citizenship, passport, academic information and current address.
- Create an Abroad Office Account at berea.abroadoffice.net/register.html
- Find a program in Abroad Office
- Using the world map on berea.abroadoffice.net/index.html or
- The program search on the lower left of Abroad Office or
- Advanced Search at berea.abroadoffice.net/advanced-search.html
BIST (Berea International Summer Term)
- In Abroad Office, search for and add the appropriate BIST course you wish to apply to.
- Fill out all associated forms in the program.
Applying to Volunteer Abroad
This applies solely to students planning to volunteer abroad with funding from Bonner Scholar Summer of Service
or Campus Christian Center Mission and Service Grant
. Applying with the CIE is simply a clearance step, which will allow us to confirm the basic information about your intended international service experience. You must also contact the department on campus that manages the respective grant you intend to apply for (CELTS or CCC), meeting their deadline, in order to complete the application process.
- Using the 'Program Search' tool, search 'Berea College Programs' and 'Summer 2014' (do not select any country) and hit search.
- Hit 'Apply' to the right of 'Registration to Volunteer Abroad'.
- Fill out all the associated forms.
Non-BIST, Non-Bonner Summer Courses
- Find and add the program you are going to study with in Abroad Office. If it is not available, email the Education Abroad team at firstname.lastname@example.org so that we can add it to our system.
- Fill out all the attached forms.
- Go the program sponsors website and fill out the appropriate application for the program.
- BUDGET: Using the Budget Form (v2014), create your program budget and upload it to the appropiate form under your program application in Abroad Office. Not required for BIST, KEI or KIIS programs.
TRANSCRIPT: Upload a non-official copy of your transcript onto your program's application.
Log in to MyBerea;
Go to the 'Academics' tab;
Under the 'Academic Profile' box, click 'Transcript'.
Select 'All levels' and 'Student copy' and hit 'Submit';
Click a blank area of the page and select 'Save as...';
Upload the saved file onto Abroad Office under the 'Academic Transcript' form.